This months Courageous Entrepreneur is Camilia Majette. Camilia is the owner of Nailah’s Shea, an all natural beauty and body care line. I met Camilia a few years ago at NC A&T’s homecoming (we’re both Aggies). My dad and I went to her booth to check out and purchase some products. After talking for a while, we discovered that we’re distant cousins! How cool is that? Continue reading to learn more about Camilia and her amazing company, Nailah’s Shea.
1. Briefly tell us about yourself and your business.
My name is Camilia Zuleikha Majette and I am the Founder and CEO of Nailah’s Shea, L.L.C. I am a natural health and wellness enthusiast with a goal to introduce individuals to natural and holistic approaches to caring for their skin, the largest organ of our bodies.
I graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree from NC A&T State University in Journalism and Mass Communications and a Master’s in Health Services Administration from Strayer University.
Nailah’s Shea is an all natural Shea butter-based beauty and body care product line. Our products are handcrafted and made with the finest all natural and certified organic ingredients. Our mission is to educate and advocate to the global community that beauty comes naturally by using the natural resources that surround us.
In addition to wearing many hats as an entrepreneur I am a wife and a mother of two.
2. What made you decide to be an entrepreneur?
When I was in college I worked a part-time job in pharmaceutical medicine. I learned how to make compounds out of creams & ointments. And I also learned about some of the side effects of the prescription drugs I was helping to dispense. I have children that suffered from skin conditions like eczema and I wanted to start using more natural healing creams on their bodies.
I found myself reading the fine print on the back of product packaging and I realized that many of the products our family was using contained toxins and harmful ingredients in them. So, I started making my own all-natural body care products.
3. What made you decide to venture into this particular field (fashion, food, photography, etc.)? Is this field your passion?
After graduating from the university, I became an administrator & sometimes fill in teacher at an International Language Academy. To my surprise, I was laid off due to a budget cut. I was a single mother at that time and I needed to have some income coming in to my home.
With the encouragement of my family & friends, I decided to turn my passion into my purse and I started working full-time on growing my business.
4. In what ways has courage played a role in you starting your business?
It took a lot of courage to make the decision to become self-employed, especially since at the time I was a single mother with two children depending on me. With faith as my pillar, a supportive network of family and friends, and dedication to studying about holistic natural beauty care products, I took the plunge and started Nailah’s Shea.
5. What have been some challenges for you on your entrepreneurial journey?
Getting organized & planning can be a challenge. I’ve had many of my plans that did not come into fruition. Working long hours, days & nights, wearing many hats; mom, wife, community server, marketer, manager… and the list goes on.
6. How did you overcome?
My faith is the number one driving factor – it has enabled me to overcome many of these challenges. The encouragement of my family, friends, and mentors has also helped.
7. What and/or who inspired you to become a business owner?
Both my mother and father inspired me to become a business owner. My mother was a divorced foreign-born nationalized citizen raising 5 children on her own. Through a lot of hard work and perseverance, all her children graduated college and are raising families of our own.
My father introduced me to entrepreneurship first hand. He took me along on work assignments in developing countries where I saw he was helping women in underserved countries bring growth into their communities by providing education and employment opportunities. He also taught me to never forget my ancestors and their struggles in America.
8. What advice (5 tips) do you have for anyone thinking of starting his or her own business?
1. Have faith in your higher power. By doing this you will in turn develop faith in yourself.
2. Plan – always take time to plan out your ideas for your business and for yourself.
3. Prepare. Prepare yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually for the growth and the challenges you will experience on this entrepreneurial journey.
4. Prioritize. Prioritize your time wisely. Prioritize your faith and family.
5. Make time for yourself and your loved ones. Make sure that you set some self-care time. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
9. In what ways has networking helped your business?
Networking has helped my business flourish. By taking the time to network with other entrepreneurs and like-minded individuals, I have learned many different ideas and met so many different people that want to help and see my business succeed. In turn, we help each other.
10. What resources (local in your community and/or outside of your community) have you found to be helpful for you as a business owner?
There are so many resources out there that have been helpful for me as a business owner. From, the NC Small Business Center, YWCA of Greensboro, SCORE, the Internet, and the numerous small business owners I’ve met along the way.
11. Where do you see your business in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years I see my business as expanding from a local business into a global business. Always making sure to start here at home first and then expanding internationally. I see my business with a storefront in this area and employing and teaching others to have their own business and to become self sufficient in their communities.
12. Where can people contact you for business inquires?
Contact me by email: email@example.com phone: (336) 554-5676
My website is: www.nailahsshea.com
13. Where can we find you on social media?
Please follow me on:
Instagram: @nailahs_shea , Facebook: @nailahsshea , Twitter: @NailahsShea
Be sure to support Camilia by going to her website and purchasing some of her products. Also, be sure to follow her on social media and spread the word about her business!